You and Your Pharmacist
Canada’s most trusted health care professional, pharmacists are the medication experts. They have the most in-depth knowledge of drug therapies compared to all other healthcare professionals.
But your New Brunswick pharmacist also provides a wide range of vital, front-line health care services that are crucial to helping you maintain your health and crucial to the health care system. Pharmacists are one of the most accessible, front-line health care providers. They are available during evenings, weekends and on holidays.
Your New Brunswick pharmacist delivers a wide range of services:
- Prescribe and adapt medications
- Vaccinate for flu, COVID-19, pneumonia, and shingles, among others
- Review medications
- Help patients stop smoking
- Assess, treat and prescribe for certain minor ailments
- Provide device training for tools like blood pressure kits, puffers and blood sugar testing
- Provide hospitals with medical summaries for newly admitted patients.
- Perform medication reconciliations for patients discharged from hospital
- Advise patients by phone and in person on health issues
- Advise on cough syrup, vitamins and over-the-counter medications
- Distribute sharps containers for diabetic patients’ needles
- Collect and properly disposes of unwanted and expired medications
- Deliver to seniors and individuals who are unable to come to the pharmacy
- Call doctors’ offices for prescriptions errors, possible drug interactions and drug duplications
- Help special care homes manage their medications
- Provide compliance pack medications to help patients manage their medications