You and Your Pharmacist
Canada’s most trusted health care professional, pharmacists are the medication experts. They have the most in-depth knowledge of drug therapies compared to all other healthcare professionals.
But your New Brunswick pharmacist also provides a wide range of vital, front-line health care services that are crucial to helping you maintain your health and crucial to the health care system. Pharmacists are one of the most accessible, front-line health care providers. They are available during evenings, weekends and on holidays without an appointment.
Across Canada, the role of pharmacists is expanding.
Your New Brunswick pharmacist delivers a wide range of services:
- Prescribe and adapt medications
- Give flu shots and shingle vaccines among others
- Review medications
- Help patients stop smoking
- Assess, treat and prescribe for certain minor ailments
- Provide device training for tools like blood pressure kits, puffers and blood sugar testing
- Provide hospitals with medical summaries for newly admitted patients.
- Perform medication reconciliations for patients discharged from hospital
- Advise patients by phone and in person on health issues
- Advise on cough syrup, vitamins and over the counter medications
- Distribute sharps containers for diabetic patients’ needles
- Collect and properly disposes of unwanted and expired medications
- Deliver to seniors and individuals who are unable to come to the pharmacy
- Call doctors’ offices for prescriptions errors, possible drug interactions and drug duplications
- Help special care homes manage their medications
- Provide compliance pack medications for people who for one reason or another find it difficult to manage their medications
We asked! They answered!
Read what NB political parties said in response to our questions about pharmacy.